These burgers are perfect for the up-coming BBQ season. Or simply for dinner with a summer salad on the side.The recipe is adopted from 'The Wholemeal Cafe' in Takaka (Golden Bay). If you are over that way it's worth popping in to check out this iconic cafe.
Ingredients: Makes 6 - 8 patties.
- 430 g chickpeas (cooked or canned)
- 3 Tablespoons whole linseeds, soaked for
10 minutes in 3/4 cup hot water
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 medium-sized carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon curry powder
- 2 Teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2-5 Tablespoons olive oil for baking
1. Cook the chickpeas, drain and blend in food processor to a dry crumble- not too coarse.
2. Saute onion and grated carrots for 10 min.
3. In a large bowl combine all other ingredients. The mixture should be soft and slightly sticky. Add some water if too dry or some ground linseed if too wet. Place in fridge for 30 min.
4. With wet hands shape patties and place on lined baking tray. Brush the tops with some olive oil.
5. Bake on medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes until slightly browned. Alternatively fry patties in a pan with oil.