Coconut yogurt is a tasty alternative to standard yogurt and a great way to get your probiotics. Probiotics is a Greek word meaning 'for live'. Known as 'good' bacteria, probiotics support beneficail intestinal flora. Maintaining good intestinal flora will help the body digest, process, and utilize complex carbohydrates and protein. The regular consumption of probiotics increases the bioavailability of minerals, especially calcium. Consistent probiotic use has also shown to dramatically improve immune function. You don't need to eat them daily, a few times a week is plenty.
- 2 cans of full-fat coconut cream (try to use a brand without anyadditional preservatives. Most brnads contain guar gum which doesn't interfere with the process).
- 2 probiotic gel caps (I use the brand BioKult because they contain abig range of different bacterial strains. You can purchase them from Nature Foods NZ).
1. Sterilize your glass jar by boiling in hot water for 5 minutes or take
it straight out of the dishwasher.
2. Mix coconut cream and the powder of the BioKult gel caps in the jar.
3. Cover the jar with a clean tea towel.
4. Leave in a warm, sunny place for 8 – 12 hours. A counter beneath a window works well. It is done when it has lots of air bubbles in it and a thick consistency.
5. Put yogurt into fridge for another 12 hours. The longer you store it in the fridge, the thicker and tarter it gets.
You can add some fruit and sweetner like honey for a delicious treat. I like mine quite tart so I just add some berries or plain straight on my toasted apple cinnamon cereal in the morning.