Green Bean Cacao Chili
Yes, you read right! This chili contains unsweetened cacao powder, which is a classic ingredient in Mexican sauces and stews. When I found this recipe in my new book 'Forks over Knives' I was more than sceptical. But the combination of mushrooms, fennel and cacao make this stew stand out from the crowd!
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 450 g button mushrooms
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 4 tsp ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (use less for less heat)
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups fresh green beans
- Salt to taste
1. Place the onion and mushrooms in a large saucepan and saute over medium heat for 10 minutes.
2. Add water 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the vegetables from sticking to the pan.
3. Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, fennel, cayenne pepper and cacao powder and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, beans and 2 cups of water and simmer (covered) for 25 minutes.
5. Season with salt and serve on brown rice topped with coconut yogurt and cashew nuts.