Protein Banana Pancakes
I started making pancakes a while ago. As expected it took quite a few months of experimenting to get it right. I now have found the right mix to create a creamy, sweet texture without eggs or milk. I also learned that there is an aweful lot of grains in the world that I had never heard of. Wholegrain flours can be found in any health food store or in the supermarket. You can mix together any combination of wholegrain flours to make a total of 2 cups of flour. The ground chia and flaxseed act as binder to replace eggs. In addtion to tasting great, the pancakes contain plenty of carbs and protein.
- 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1/4 cup quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup ground chai seeds
- 1/4 cup protein powder (e.g. vanilla rice protein)*
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 banana (use 2 bananas for some extra sweetness)
- 2 cups water
* This recipe makes app. 12 pancakes which would last us a whole week. I usually use 1/4 cup of each corn, buckwheat, quinoa and coconut flour mixed with 1 cup of water to make app. 8 pancakes. Depending on the flours you use you will need different amounts of water.
1. Sieve the flours, and combine with ground seeds, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Put bananas, 1 cup of water, olive oil, and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Add liquid to dry ingredients and mix well. Adjust with water to right consistency. The batter should be sticky and slightly runny.
4. Heat up some coconut oil in a pan and scoop in some batter. I use a ladle to measure the right amount. Cook on low heat for app. 5 minutes. Flip over, add some more coconut oil and cook on other side until golden brown.
Sieved flour with ground chia seeds Pancake batter Frying in coconut oil
Serve warm and top with fruit salad or maple syrup. For a special treat add a scoop of ice cream. I recommend Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream from Nice Cream.